Monday 2 February 2015

Machine Wrapped Cords


A selection of cords in different colours and with different amounts of "layers"

I learnt how to make these on a City and Guilds machine embroidery course and I haven't stopped since! They are beautiful in their own right but can be used in so many ways.  There are several tutorials out there but this is the way I do it.

Equipment:  Very little!





String
Threads, all kinds from the cheapest to machine embroidery threads
And of course your faithful sewing machine

1. Set your machine to zigzag setting.  I use the widest stitch so that the stitch will go right over the string and unlike some people, a long stitch setting because I don't like my cords to be too uniform but this is a personal preference. ( Don't stop reading if you are a newbie and think this is too technical it will all become clear and it is easy and fun! Basically if you want your zigzags close together, you chose a short length stitch, if you want them wide apart you choose a longer stitch).







2. Cut a length of string. You can cut the string to the length required for your project (plus aprox 12cms wastage) or make a long string if you are doing multiple projects.












3. Choose a colour for your bobbin thread. On these first stitches its a good idea to use a cheap thread as it just acts as a base. It's also a great way to use up those bobbins with just a little thread left on them.






4. Choose  your main thread, this does not need to be the same colour as the bobbin, I usually use a complimentary colour. Thread your machine.







5.Place your string underneath the presser foot, keep it central so the zigzag will go over the string. Leave enough string at the back for you to hold comfortably.















6. Hold the string firmly at the back and gently at the front. Stitch. You may need to pull the thread from the back to help with this first row of stitching. Don't worry if it gets stuck, just pull gently from behind to move it along.












7. As you sew the threads will wrap around the cord. If you alter the stitch width you can have your zigzags closer together or farther apart. I like them further apart and build up a layer of stitches, other people might like them closer together as its quicker!
Have fun  experiment.






8. Stitch until you are about 6 cms from the end. With the needle down lift the presser foot and turn the string to face you once again. Lower presser foot and repeat.

If you twist the string with your front hand you'll get a more pleasing effect as it alters the position of the colours.






9. Carry on in this way until you are happy with the appearance of your cord. You can alter colours at any point but it is best to do so at the end of the string. I often like to end with a metallic thread, especially if I am going to use the thread for jewellery.
EXTRA TIP
Don't worry if your thread runs out. Lift the presser foot and cut the other thread. Re-thread either the bobbin or the top thread, put your string back under the presser foot and away you go. The end will get wrapped in as you sew your next run.

10. Your cord is ready to use. Cut off the plain string and dip the end in clear nail polish which prevents any unravelling! Whoops, sorry I forgot to mention the nail polish in the equipment. I think it shows I'm a newbie blogger and tutorial writer. Anyway I hope you use it and have fun with making your own wrapped cords

Now I did promise my top 10 uses for these cords which I will do but it will have to be next week as I need to do more sewing before I can deliver! I've sold some of the items but didn't take photos as they are not yet in my folksy shop. However there are still some purses with these cords if you are interested just visit me at SoSewMegan.



No comments:

Post a Comment